Saturday 7 February 2015

Saint Brigid's Feathered Servant

The dandelion was called Bearnain Bhrighide - "the serrated flower of Brigid" (it begins to flower on her day). The linnet is big-ean Bhrighide - "the little bird of Brigid" (it begins to sing on her day), and the oyster catcher is called giolla Bhrighide, "the servant of Brigid".

An Claidheamh Soluis, Jan. 25, 1908, quoted in 'St. Brigid in Tradition and Art', The Furrow Vol. 3, No. 2 (Feb., 1952), p. 4.

Content Copyright © Trias Thaumaturga 2012-2015. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. Hello.
    My name is Chris Vasilopoulos. I am from Greece and I am also interested in the Celtic and Saxon saints. You can see my blog here: http://orthodoxy-rainbow.blogspot.gr/
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Chris, It's always a pleasure to welcome visitors from Greece. Your blog looks wonderful and thank you for linking to some of my posts. God bless you, Beannacht Dé leat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you to for your wonderful posts about Saint Brigid and Saint Columba. I feel a very strong love for these saints and for saint Patrick also.
    And also thanks for the Irish blessing!
    I pray to God to visit Glendalough sometime because I love saint Kevin (Koevgen) also very much.

    ReplyDelete